More Blog Posts On Similar Subjects:

  1. Where’s the septic tank? Are you going to inspect it?

  2. Why is sunlight exposure bad for PVC pipe?

  3. Why is my water heater making strange (rumbling, gurgling, knocking or banging) noises?

  4. Are there water lines in my attic or under the floor slab?

  5. What is a P-trap?

  6. Should I upgrade to a tankless water heater?

  7. What causes low water pressure in a house?

  8. How old is that water heater?

  9. Should I wrap the water heater with an insulation blanket?

  10. Do you check the plumbing under the floor slab?

  11. What’s the flip-up handle on the water heater for?

  12. How come the water has a rotten-egg smell in some empty houses?

  13. My well water test came back positive for bacteria. What should I do?

  14. Do you test the well water?

  15. How can I tell what type of plumbing pipe I have?

  16. What is the difference between a regular water heater and a power vent water heater?

  17. What is a saddle valve?

  18. How do you test a shower pan for leaks?

  19. What is a grinder pump?

  20. What is that little tank on top of the water heater for?

  21. What are the most common installation problems with water heater replacement?

  22. What is that pipe sticking out of the ground in the yard?

  23. What are the most common plumbing problems with older houses?

  24. Why are rubber washing machine hoses a safety risk?

  25. What is a dielectric union?

  26. What is a heat pump water heater?

  27. What are the common problems to look for when the plumbing has been replaced in a house?

  28. What is the average life expectancy of PVC pipe?

  29. What is an auto vent, air admittance valve, or check vent?

  30. What is an FVIR water heater?

  31. What is difference between a single element and dual element electric water heater?

  32. What are the requirements for installing a gas appliance connector?

  33. What is the loose wire sticking out of the ground under the gas meter for?

  34. Is the hot water faucet handle required to be on the left?

  35. Why is a backflow preventer required on lawn sprinkler systems?

  36. What do the ABS, PVC, CPVC, PB, and PEX plumbing pipe names mean?

  37. Should I seal the washing machine drain hose to the standpipe?

  38. How do you find a broken water pipe leak under the floor slab?

  39. What is a sediment trap or dirt leg?

  40. My spa tub stopped working. What’s wrong?

  41. Which plumbing fixtures require water shut off valves in a home?

How to Look

at a House

A blog with answers
to your questions about

Welcome to our blog!
We want you to be an informed homebuyer, and each blog post is a question that we have answered for our friends and customers over the years. Hope they help you make a good choice for your next home.

    A rubber transition coupling (also called a “banded joint”) secured with stainless steel clamps used to be required, because the solvent glues to were only rated for either PVC or ABS, but not both. Here’s an example of what not to do, shown below, that we found under a kitchen sink at a recent home inspection, with evidence of leakage at the connection.

   Also, while PVC pipe is fine for drain piping, it is not approved by the building codes for water supply (pressurized) pipe inside a home. It can only be used for the underground water service piping to home. Once the pipe comes inside the home, it has to be CPVC, copper, PEX or any other plumbing material rated for the use.

While we hope you find this series of articles about home inspection helpful, they should not be considered an alternative to an actual home inspection by a local inspector. Also, construction standards vary in different parts of the country and it is possible that important issues related to your area may not be covered here.
©2015 - McGarry and Madsen Inspection.


Click Below to Link
to Collections of
Blog Posts by Subject

Search This Blog